The Gomez family captured the hearts of people across the country when they were featured on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition as recipients of a new home built in Daybreak near Oquirrh Lake in 2011. Recently we spent a heartwarming afternoon catching up with Jessica, Jonah and Ellie as they expressed continued gratitude for the gift that gave them a place to call home. Jonah Gomez, 10, has been living with two rare blood disorders and is still in need of a bone marrow transplant. Despite it all, he is filled with laughter, a love for life and wisdom beyond his years. During the time spent with him, he repeatedly reminded us that the greatest good we can do for others is to love and support them. The entire Gomez family has definitely felt the love and support given to them by the Daybreak community since they moved into their home three years ago. The support of neighbors who are always wanting to lend support and help has sustained the Gomez family as they continue to search for a bone marrow donor.
Some of the things the Gomez family love about living in Daybreak include:
1. Amazing neighbors who have been lending support over the years.
2. Close proximity to Rio Tinto Real Salt Lake Stadium. The family are avid fans of the team.
3. Bike riding along the more than 30 miles of trails at Oquirrh Lake.
4. Discovering the variety of species of birds that live in the community with his binoculars. Jonah’s favorite is the Red-winged Blackbird.
5. Eating dinner as a family at Tio’s Mexican Restaurant on SoDa Row.
If you would like to learn more about being a bone marrow donor, you can visit: bethematch.org or deletebloodcancer.org for a FREE kit. Also, bethematch.org has information on how to donate your baby’s umbilical cord. All can potentially save a life. Learn more about the Gomez family.